• Visas and Permits

  • Study Permit

  • Study Permit Extension

Visas and Permits

Although visas and permits are seen as similar documentation required for entering Canada, there is a key difference between the two. Visas are required by citizens from certain international countries to enter into Canada. Whereas permits are what allows someone to be in Canada and control what their purpose is while in Canada (examples include: work permits and student permits).

There are different classifications of permits and visas which are given out for specific purposes. These include:

  • work permits
  • temporary visas
  • student visas
  • super visas
  • temporary resident permits, and more.

At Legal Leaf, we have successfully helped hundreds of clients get their visa and permit applications approved. The application process can be confusing and grueling. Let our experienced experts help you through the process!

Study Permit

The study permit is a document provided by the Canadian government that allows foreign nationals to study at a designated learning institutions (DLI) within Canada. A study permit should not be mistaken with a visa as you will not be able to entry the country with just a study permit alone.

Study permits usually last the length of your study program plus an additional 90 days or a year depending on your situation. They give you this extra time to allow you to prepare to leave the country, or to apply to extend your study permit.

Study Permit Extension

Study permit extensions are given to students who currently have a study permit and need to extend their time in Canada in order to finish their program. If an individual would like to stay in Canada longer after completing their program, they can either apply for a work permit or apply to change their status in Canada into a visitor.